When
I was a kid, I made many mistakes in the kitchen while I helped my mom
or my siblings to cook. I made so many mistakes that I became scared to
cook. For instance, my sister asked me to marinate short pork rib for
deep frying. I was supposed to marinate with brown sugar, ground white
pepper, oyster sauce, and minced garlic. She told me to guess the
measurement of the ingredients by taste – no measurements! Deep fried
short rib should be a little sweet because it is served with a spicy
sour sauce on the side. I love the richness of flavorful food. So to
make sure that my ribs were very flavorful, I put three times the amount
of spices in that my sister recommended. The ribs came out
terrible! Not even deep frying them could make them taste good. Nobody
could eat it, not even myself.
After
that, I told myself I should just wait outside the kitchen and enjoy
eating the food when it was done. When I moved to the USA, I could not
bring my family with me. Luckily, I got a job at a Thai restaurant. I
started to copy and ask some techniques from the chef. I started with
the basic meals like stir fried mixed vegetables. When my first Thai
food came out not only edible but actually tasting good, I was so proud
of myself. When I gained more confidence and experience, I cooked for
my family and friends. Whenever I feel stressful, cooking Thai food
makes me relax. Who would not enjoy and be happy to eat such lovely
food with a great aroma and flavorful textures taste in their mouth?
Thai
food is not as difficult to cook as many people think; especially, the
favorite menus that everyone likes. Thai curry has so many varieties of
curry: green curry, panang curry, red curry, and so on. The main basic
ingredients in every curry are curry paste, coconut milk, sugar, fish
sauce, vegetables, and any type of meat you prefer. For example, panang
curry and red curry are almost the same. For panang curry I will not
add more water, broth, or vegetables. I stir red curry paste with
coconut milk for just a little while. Then I add the meat into
it. Whenever the meat gets done, I add the rest of the coconut
milk. Then I add sugar and fish sauce to the taste I like. Many Thai
restaurants have made Thai curry too sweet for the American taste which
I’d rather not eat on my own Thai food.
When
I see the sauce get a little bit thick, it is time to serve it with
some hot steamed rice. Furthermore, if I am in the mood for red curry, I
just add water and vegetables into the sauce. Red curry will have a
thinner sauce, but it is not so soupy like a soup. The juice from the
fruits and vegetables (like pineapple, bamboo, etc.) will create its own
unique taste. I can make either panang curry or red curry by just
adding water and vegetables.
No comments:
Post a Comment