Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Blog post# 15 4/16 In class blog psot : continue drafting your Ed. Nar.

"Thai food is very hard to cook!" Many people and even Thais say this to me.  You might expect that Thais should know how to cook Thai food, though many Thais do not know or are even scared to cook Thai food.  In Thailand, it is not expensive to eat out - especially street food.  Many Thais prefer to buy street food rather than cooking food for themselves.  As the youngest daughter, I had my mother and many siblings to cook for me.  Homesick and suffering from culture shock after moving to the USA forced me to learn how to cook Thai food.  After I explored and cooked for a while, I started to get numerous compliments.  I would like to say to everyone that if I can cook Thai food, you can too!
               When I was a kid, I made many mistakes in the kitchen while I helped my mom or my siblings to cook.  I made so many mistakes that I became scared to cook.  For instance, my sister asked me to marinate short pork rib for deep frying.  I was supposed to marinate with brown sugar, ground white pepper, oyster sauce, and minced garlic.  She told me to guess the measurement of the ingredients by taste – no measurements!  Deep fried short rib should be a little sweet because it is served with a spicy sour sauce on the side.  I love the richness of flavorful food.  So to make sure that my ribs were very flavorful, I put three times the amount of spices in that my sister recommended.  The ribs came out terrible!  Not even deep frying them could make them taste good.  Nobody could eat it, not even myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment